Dutch Language and Literature Teacher [Amity]
- Amity International School, Amsterdamseweg 204, Amstelveen
Dutch Language and Literature Teacher for Senior School (0.6fte)
Empowering our students to thrive is at the core of everything we do. “Here, I can be me.” If this quote from one of our students makes you curious about working at our school, you are in the right place! Amity International School Amsterdam is a family-oriented school, proud of our connections with the wider community and Amity Education Group. We are still growing and are ambitious to be a school at the forefront of impactful teaching and learning.
Amity International School Amsterdam is looking for a Dutch language and literature teacher who is passionate about his/her subject and cultural heritage and who is keen to support our increasing number of native Dutch language learners. You would be joining an exciting Faculty of educators, including a team of English, French and Dutch Language and Literature, and Language Acquisition, teachers, who are committed to empowering our learners to thrive.
Our Language and Literature programmes are designed to enable students to use language to critically engage with a range of literary and non-literary texts, from both contemporary and historical contexts, using a range of linguistic and literary concepts. Students are also encouraged to develop their creative and expressive skills in the production of their own literary and non-fiction texts, and to develop a passion for lifelong reading.
The successful applicant will have a strong understanding of the needs of senior education. He/she will have the capability to deliver a high standard of education aligned with the School’s Mission, Vision and Values delivered via the International Baccalaureate’s Middle Years Programme (IB MYP) for Language and Literature for which we are a candidate school.
If you are a dynamic and inspirational Teacher with IB Middle Years Programme experience, seeking a new adventure, we would like to hear from you!
What will you do on a day-to-day basis?
Your role would be to enable students to explore how writers use different techniques to have an impact on their audience and develop skills to be intentional writers themselves. You would introduce students Dutch and world literature in a range of genres and social themes and expose students to a wide variety of texts, from reviews, commentaries, opinions texts, to editorials and essays.
Currently, our Dutch Language and Literature classes are quite small, comprised of conscientious and curious young people, who would welcome your enthusiasm for discovering new writers and narratives. Smaller group sizes enable us to provide a more personalized approach to learning and to respond to their individual learning needs and strengths.
The Teachers’ primary responsibility is towards the students whose best interests they work for and promote. They must do everything they can to ensure every student fulfils their potential. In addition, by being a member of the Amity community, they commit themselves to promoting the values and philosophy of the school as well as the IB. Just as the school has a responsibility for them, they also have a responsibility to work in the school’s best interests, to promote its good name, support its members and act in a collegiate manner. Lastly, teachers have a responsibility to strive to achieve the highest professional standards in all they do.
Teachers at Amity International School are committed to:
- High quality teaching practice
- Creating dynamic learning environments
- Collaborating on the development and evolution of our curriculum
- Building positive relationships with students, staff and parents
What will you bring to the table?
The ideal candidate for this role will have the following skills, experience and qualifications:
- Knowledge of the IB Middle Years Programme would be valuable; however, our experienced team are on hand to provide additional training and support as required. As a learning organization about to conclude our IB authorization process, we align ourselves to the IB philosophy, and pride ourselves in being informed by current educational research. Your experience and contributions to our school’s growth would be welcome, and we invite you to develop your teaching practice as a valued member of our collaborative team.
- A minimum 4-year recognised teaching qualification, including a Bachelor’s Degree and PGCE or equivalent teaching diploma (e.g. B.Ed.)
- Minimum 3 years teaching experience
- Excellent fluency in English (verbal and written)
- Mother-tongue Dutch speaker
- Experience of the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IB PYP) is highly desirable
- Ability to teach in both the Primary and Middle School
- Experience teaching first and second language learners
- An innovator, committed to learning and up-to-date with current research
- An inspiring, challenging and empowering educational motivator
- Visible, approachable, with excellent interpersonal skills and a good sense of humour
- Flexible, creative and resilient
- An excellent communicator and able to build on the reputation of the school
- A role model for the entire school community in terms of school ethos
- A passion for and deep understanding of internationalism and international education
What’s in it for you?
We are looking for candidates who are willing to go the extra mile for our young school to be successful. In return, we are offering a competitive salary for successful candidates. If you are internationally minded, permitted to work in the European Union and have the desire to help shape the exciting future of our school, we would be delighted to hear from you.
Who are we?
We are a young and vibrant school located in Amstelveen. We pride ourselves in supporting and challenging every student to achieve excellence in their behaviour, academic work, sport, the arts, culture, citizenship, spirituality and relationships. We place emphasis on providing the students with opportunities to develop leadership and collaborative skills, as well as finding ways for them to serve others and contribute to the wider community.
We are a fully international school with students and staff from 39 different countries and we are proud of our diverse and inclusive culture. We welcome new colleagues from different backgrounds and highly encourage people from around the world to apply for this position.
Amity International School Amsterdam is part of the not-for-profit Amity Education Group, home to over 150.000 students worldwide with school campuses across Amsterdam, Dubai, London, Singapore, New York, Delhi, Tashkent and plans to be in every major city of the world.
Why is Safeguarding so important to us?
We take caring for the physical and emotional health of each member of the school community very seriously. As a school, we are committed to safeguarding and expect all staff, volunteers and other third parties to share this commitment. We will follow safer recruitment practices and pre-employment background checks before any appointment is confirmed.
What should you do next?
If you feel that you are the candidate we are looking for, make sure to share your CV (resume) and supporting statement via the 'Apply now' button.
If you have additional questions, do not hesitate to contact our HR department via email@example.com.
Please check our career website to find more vacancies.